Regional Pokedex number: #079
Dex colour: Pink
Slowpoke (Japanese: ヤドン Yadon) is a dual-type /Pokémon.
It evolves into Slowbro starting at level 37 or Slowking when traded holding a King’s Rock.
Slowpoke are large pink creatures that resemble a cross between a salamander and a hippopotamus. They have four legs, each of which ends in a single white claw. They have a long, tapering tail that is lighter in colour towards the tip, curled ears, and rounded, tan muzzles.
- In the Pokémon Red and Blue beta, Slowpoke was originally known as “Slowmo”.
- The Japanese and international Pokémon Silver have different sprites for Slowpoke, with the Japanese versions having a fatter and striped belly similar to that which Slowbro and Slowking sport. It is unknown why this was changed. However, its striped underside is still partially visible in all of its Gold and Crystal sprites. This striped belly does not appear to be a true error, as it has been seen in artwork by Ken Sugimori, though it is from Generation I.
- Like Mantyke, Slowpoke evolves when another Pokémon attaches to it, however this was only seen in the anime. Proximity-based evolution such as requiring Mantyke and Remoraid to be in the same party were not introduced until Generation IV. Despite the fact that other Pokémon, such as Feebas, have been given additional evolution methods for evolving into the same Pokémon, Shellder still has no bearing on Slowpoke's evolution.
- Slowpoke is the only Pokémon whose multiple evolutions have different total EV yields: Slowbro has an EV yield of 2, while Slowking has an EV yield of 3.
- Slowpoke's National Pokédex number is the whole number portion of its weight in pounds. It is one of only two Pokémon with this distinction; the other is Scyther.
- Despite numerous Pokédex entries stating its lack of response to a bite on its tail, in Pokémon Snap it is shown to quickly react to Shellder's bite. This may be due to Shellder's venom stimulating a quicker response, or simple an error or game mechanic to speed the process along.